The Foundation is a nonprofit corporation governed by a Board of Trustees who are members of Central. The Foundation’s purpose is to receive gifts, to hold the principal of such gifts in perpetuity and to give the income growth of these gifts to Central.
Become a legacy partner!
Central’s Legacy Partners are members and friends of Central Lutheran Church who have made a commitment to include the Central Lutheran Foundation in their estate planning or planned giving. Their purpose is to celebrate and encourage others in their “legacy giving” to Central. Legacy partners receive a unique crystal engraved with an image of Central’s historic sanctuary and are recognized at a banquet and in other ways throughout the year.
Legacy Partners Profiles
- Mead and June Cavert
- Sidney and Lola Berg
- Harris and Maryon Lee
- Dean and Joyce Bliss
- Susan Stan
- John and Joan Hagman
- Audrey Grote and Mary Oelke
- Bob Boldt
Central Lutheran Church has been blessed with many faithful and generous parishioners. The late Dr. H. Mead and June Cavert are two who gave much of themselves to others, the community and the church.
June Sederstrom Cavert was born on June 27, 1921, a daughter of Joseph W. and Elsie Sederstrom of rural Beckville, near Litchfield, Minnesota. She attended the District 59 one-room schoolhouse through eighth grade, graduated from Litchfield High School and the University of Minnesota, and took graduate work in educational psychology and student counseling at the University of Minnesota and as a Danforth Fellow at the University of Missouri.
Henry Mead Cavert was born March 30, 1922, the son of William Lane and Mary Mead Cavert of St. Paul. The family lived during most of Mead’s childhood in Anoka, MN. After graduating from Anoka High School, Mead attended the University of Minnesota, earning a B.S. degree in agricultural biochemistry (1942), an M.D. (1951) and a Ph.D. in physiology (1952)
During the years of World War II, Mead served as an Army Air Corps weather forecaster in the China-Burma-India theater, and June supervised Lutheran Campus Ministry chapters on the home front at colleges from Michigan to California. Sweethearts from their university days, they were married on Jan. 27, 1946, ten days after Mead’s return from military service. They had three sons, John, Harlan and Winston, who grew up in the family home in south Minneapolis.
As Mead advanced in his career at the U of M Medical School, June committed herself to supporting him and volunteering as a mentor and confidante for generations of medical students and their spouses. She taught Sunday School, actively served her church, and was a generous friend, financially and personally, of the homeless and the hungry through Central Lutheran’s Restoration Center
After finishing his graduate studies in 1953, Mead enjoyed a career of almost four decades in the University of Minnesota faculty and administration, serving as professor of physiology and associate dean of the Medical School. During a “golden era” of the Medical School, Mead was its operational chief and served twice as its interim dean. He was co-author of a widely-used physiology textbook, The Machinery of the Body, 5th edition, published in 1961.
Mead also helped shepherd the Medical School program that trained hundreds of young physicians for practice in underserved communities in Minnesota. Mead and June enjoyed a mid-career sabbatical in Scotland in 1961-62 while Mead was a visiting faculty member at the University of Edinburgh — a unique horizon-expanding experience for their young children.
Mead and June were long active in many charitable and community organizations, especially Central Lutheran Church, Camp Amnicon, the University of Minnesota Medical School, and the YMCA. Mead was a long-time board member of the Minnesota Medical Foundation and other religious, civic and philanthropic boards and commissions, and June was a long-time board member of Fairview Hospital and Fairview Foundation.
The family remembered that past the age of 80, Mead could be found canoeing, camping and cooking over open fires in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness with his children and grandchildren, and he continued to enjoy spending time along Minnesota’s lakes since then. He loved singing around a campfire, at church or basically anywhere. He knew by heart an endless repertoire of hymns, camp songs, and the fight songs of a stunning number of colleges and universities.
Mead died November 4, 2016, at age 94 and June died June 5, 2019, at age 97.
The Caverts’ love of global culture and outdoor life has been expressed in their philanthropic legacies. As generous with their estate as they were in their lives, they established the June and H. Mead Cavert Fund at the Central Lutheran Church Foundation, which will benefit youth, particularly Camp Amnicon, and global ministries.
Lola and Sidney Berg met at Central Lutheran and were married here in 1966. Sid was working as a librarian at a school in Stewartville, Minn., at that time. Lola received a bachelor’s degree from the University of Oklahoma, and a master’s degree from Winona State. Later, she was on staff at Central Lutheran as secretary to Pastor Morris Wee and Pastor Gornitzka, and also served as the volunteer services director.
Sid earned a master’s degree in Library Science and a master’s degree in Audio Visual at the University of Oklahoma. Later, Sid became an inside sales person after he left his position as head librarian of the Stewartville schools. Lola was a social worker, serving at good Samaritan Care Centers until age 84 in many locations in the southwest United States, and the Midwest.
They both were active in Augsburg University alumni programs and campus activities. Sid’s love of music was reflected in his singing at Augsburg, where he graduated in 1957, in the Augsburg University Choir, and for many years sang in Central Lutheran’s choir and the Augsburg Centennial Singers.
Sid and Lola played an active role in making the emergent Milwaukee Avenue Historic District a place where homeowners became close neighbors. Sid and Lola then moved to Nicollet Island and took on another historic house restoration. They later moved to the nearby Pillsbury A Mill Artist’s Lofts.
Lola has many friends from both her previous neighborhoods where they restored older houses, on Milwaukee Avenue in Minneapolis and on Nicollet Island, and from Central Lutheran, where she is active with OWLS and the contemplative prayer group. She is formerly a member of the usher team, home visitation for shut ins, and taught Sunday school as well.
Sid died May 29, 2018. Lola and Sid have had Central Lutheran Church Foundation in their will for the last 10 years and recently became Legacy Partners when they received a letter of invitation from the Foundation.
The Central Lutheran Church Foundation is grateful to Sid and Lola for their many years of friendship and service, and faithful dedication to Central Lutheran Church’s future.
Maryon and the the Rev. Harris W. Lee, longtime members of Central Lutheran Church, have included Central Lutheran Church Foundation in their estate plans as Legacy Partners.
The Rev. Harris W. Lee, who died in December 2017, grew up on a farm near Fosston, Minnesota, one of eight children. He was a graduate of Augsburg College, received a D. Min. from Luther Seminary, and was ordained as an ELCA pastor in 1961. He also served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.
Harris and Maryon served several parishes: initially at First Lutheran Church in Duluth; Lakeview Lutheran Church in Maplewood, and Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd in Minneapolis. After 27 years in parish ministry Harris spent 20 years working with ELCA congregations on stewardship and leadership. He served as an interim pastor and interim assistant to synod bishops, and was a regent of Augsburg College and board member of Fairview Southdale. Maryon was a Sunday school teacher, taught Bible study, and participated in circles at each of the parishes.
The Lee’s son Steve, a 1985 Augsburg graduate, is an actuary at Thrivent. Their daughter Patty, a 1987 graduate of Augsburg, is a hospital chaplain with an M.A. from Luther Seminary and M.S. in Social Work from the University of Minnesota. Both are married with children and live in the Twin Cities area.
Maryon is a native of the small farming community of Newark, in central Illinois, and graduated from Northern Illinois University. She and Harris met when he taught vacation Bible school in her home church, Norway Lutheran, the summer after his first year of seminary. They married at Norway Lutheran in 1960. Harris was ordained on their first anniversary, June 11, 1961.
They moved to 7500 York while Harris was in declining health, joining many friends from Central who live there. Maryon drives downtown for church but has the option of attending a service close by her residence.
The Lees have a living trust and a fund at InFaith Community Foundation which benefits Central Lutheran Church Foundation and other charities. Since Harris worked in stewardship during his career and authored a book about the subject, titled “Effective Church Leadership” in 2001, they both saw the importance of good financial leadership and planned giving to the future of the church. For Maryon and Harris Lee, it was important to include Central Lutheran Church in their estate giving.
The Central Lutheran Church Foundation greatly appreciates their generosity!
Dean and Joyce Bliss are dedicated friends of Central Lutheran. Although no longer living fulltime in Minnesota, they have deep and lifelong roots in the congregation.
Dean’s parents (Don and Bertha) were married at Central. Dean was baptized and confirmed at Central. He remembers as a youth attending the cornerstone laying of the Sunday school building, the parish building and, as an adult, the commons building.
Dean and Joyce were married at Central Lutheran in 1977 after meeting at a Koinonian meeting (a Central young adult group). Their two boys were baptized, confirmed and married here, and two of three grandchildren were baptized at Central.
Dean and Joyce are now Arizona residents, but come back to worship at Central Lutheran and spend the summer in Minnesota. When in Arizona, they watch the Central Sunday services online, then attend Desert Hills Lutheran in Green Valley where they are active in various groups.
At Central, Dean has been involved in the Cherub Choir, Little Singers, High School Chapel Choir, Call Committee, Parking Lot Committee, Communications Board, Fiscal and Properties Committee, Sound and Light program, Bell Tower subcommittee and Funeral Reception Committee. While a teenager, he was active in Luther League and attended the youth conventions both in Miami Beach in 1961 and in Detroit in 1964.
Joyce has been involved as a Sunday school teacher, Bible school teacher, Circle of Friends, Funeral Reception Committee, Church Council, choir, hand bell choir, and quilting.
Joyce and Dean are Legacy Partners, having included Central Lutheran Church Foundation in their estate plans because “Central Lutheran has been such an important part of our lives, and we love everything about it—the music, preaching, and outreach. We are willing to drive a distance to church and also listen to the service when we are gone during the winter to stay connected.”
Central Lutheran Church Foundation is grateful to Dean and Joyce for their dedication to the mission of Central Lutheran.
Susan Stan, Central Lutheran member and children’s literature scholar, entered eternal life on March 21, 2018. Born in Chicago and raised in Wyoming, Susan attended St. Olaf College, received her master’s degree in English from UW, Madison, and her Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota. She was a renowned expert in the field of children’s literature, and served on several prestigious children’s literature award committees and international professional associations.
During her career, Susan worked in the children’s book publishing business in New York, then at Lerner Publications in Minneapolis. After 16 years of teaching at Central Michigan University in the area of children’s literature, she moved back to Minneapolis to, as Susan put it, “re-integrate with her friends and establish a community here.”
She loved Central Lutheran Church, its people, clergy and social programs. She started out attending the 5:00 p.m. Saturday service, joined the choir and was an active volunteer at the Restoration Center.
Susan divided her estate among several favorite charities rather than her many nieces and nephews, because as she said, she would “make more of an impact on the charities.” Her estate included both Central Lutheran’s building fund and the Central Lutheran Church Foundation, as well as her college.
The Central Lutheran Church Foundation is grateful for Susan’s life among us and for her legacy gifts to the church and the Foundation.
John is a native of Chicago. He has deep Lutheran roots in the Midwest, as his great grandfather was one of the founders of Bethany Lutheran Church in Ephraim, Wisconsin, north of Green Bay, a church that is celebrating a 135th anniversary this year. The church still holds services during the summer months.
John joined the Marines in 1943, and spent two years in the South Pacific, assigned to the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Bunker Hill. He was on deck May 11, 1945, when the ship was bombed by two Japanese kamikaze pilots. He was later invited to join a V-12 officer training program, and chose Yale University as the place for his program. After August 1945, when Japan surrendered, John returned to Chicago.
The pastor at his church in Chicago, Ray Farness, was a St. Olaf grad, so he recommended attending St. Olaf. John majored in social studies and economics graduating in 1949. After he and Joan were married, he earned a master’s degree in administration at New York University, where they could live with Joan’s family.
Joan’s parents were born in Norway and are both buried there, although they emigrated to Brooklyn, New York, where there was a large Norwegian community. Joan’s mother Gyda Andersen was a milliner, joining a hat company soon after coming to the U.S. Joan’s father was an electrical engineer who worked in Manhattan. Her grandmother insisted that Gyda be confirmed in Norway before emigrating, and she came to America with family friends. They joined Trinity Lutheran in Brooklyn (where incidentally Mons and Shirley Teig served) where Joan was confirmed.
After Joan graduated from high school in 1947, at her pastor’s recommendation, she and her mother took the train to Northfield and St. Olaf College, where the Norwegian Lutheran population was familiar to Joan’s family. The small town of Northfield was a big change after growing up in bustling Brooklyn, but Joan grew to like it, and there she met John. Joan majored in sociology and secondary education. When John graduated in 1949, they married, and Joan completed her college degree after the children- Karl, Deborah, David and Rebecca-were grown, at Concordia University, St. Paul. They now have ten grandchildren and six great grandchildren.
John was a history teacher and served as principal and teacher at Northwood, Iowa, and served school districts in St. Charles, Minnesota; Menomonie, Wisconsin; Faribault, Minnesota; and Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin. Finally, Hagmans moved to Mendota Heights and Henry Sibley High School, where John was principal for 19 years, retiring in 1989. John was also the first AARP Minnesota president, serving six years for two terms.
History with Central Lutheran
John and Joan have been at Central Lutheran since February, 1990, joining at the urging of Rev. Paul and Dolores Hanson. They previously attended Salem Lutheran in West St. Paul. John has been president of the church council at Central Lutheran, an usher for 11 years, served on a call committee and chaired the nominating committee. Joan taught Sunday School, volunteered at the Clothes Closet, chaired the Floral Guild, ushered, and was a member of the investment club.
Legacy Partners Story
John and Joan are Central Lutheran Church Foundation Legacy Partners, with Central Lutheran Church Foundation included in their estate plan. They said, “We love Central, very simply, and the Foundation has been good to Central-it is as good a place for our money as the bank.”
Travel and faith are two important themes in the lives of Audrey Grote and Mary Oelke, longtime friends who met as young teachers in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.
They both taught Sunday School and were members and officers of Altar Guild, Floral Guild and Central Lutheran Church Women. After retirement they helped run the Skyway Connection Ministry, an outreach for downtown skyway people during the 1990s. Today they are members of Shalom Circle and Floral Guild.
Audrey and Mary started their traveling adventures when Audrey drove her 1953 Chevy to California. That was followed by a Grand Circle tour of Europe which lasted all summer and took in almost every country in Europe.
Many trips followed, but the most meaningful were those taken with Central Lutheran parishioners and clergy. The first was a trip to Israel where they visited biblical sites and imagined life in the time of Jesus. Next was a trip to Madagascar where they stayed with missionaries who took them to many places. More recently was a trip to France to watch the casting of one of the large bells in Central’s bell tower. That was followed by a trip to Madison, Wisconsin to see the carving of the stone for the top of the tower.
Audrey and Mary are grateful for the many opportunities Central Lutheran Church has provided them through the years. The trips, Bible studies, inspiring sermons, beautiful music, small groups and many opportunities to interact with people who share their Christian faith are important parts of their faith journey. They feel their lives have been greatly blessed and they hope that their gifts to the Central Lutheran Foundation will help Central provide faith enriching opportunities for others.
“1928 was a big year—Central dedicated its sanctuary on April 1 and Bob was born in Faribault on November 2.” So begins Bob Boldt’s obituary, which, like everything Bob does, is unique, artistic and witty.
An only child, he was christened Robert Edward, after his mother vetoed “Herman.” On Easter Sunday of 1943, he was confirmed at Trinity Lutheran Church (LCMS) in Faribault.
Art and music pervade every phase of Bob’s life. From his studies at the Minneapolis School of Art, now MCAD, to 38 years as an art director/graphic designer for Dayton’s and Target. His attendance at Minnesota Orchestra concerts, and musically oriented trips with Ovation Opera Tours to destinations such as Sarasota, Santa Fe, and Tanglewood, are among others.
While attending MCAD, he often visited Central to hear long time Central organist Marion Hutchinson, after hearing her on WCAL, the St. Olaf radio station. He later took private lessons with Marion.
His church music career started as a pianist for his home church Grace Lutheran, in Rochester, Minn., where he and his parents were a founding members. At Central, he played the piano for worship services conducted for the neighborhood by Pastor Cherian Puthiyottil.
Bob progressed from playing the piano in Rochester to a pump organ, then a one manual, two manual and finally a pipe organ at Grace. In fact, he had an organ in his Minneapolis apartment to get ready for Sundays in Rochester.
Bob has been very generous in designing logos and covers for Central, as well as the logo for Central Lutheran Church Foundation.
His Central committees include Fine Art, Funeral Reception, C3 Environmental, Call Committee, and was the underwriter of the electronic sign installed in Central’s north plaza in 2016.
The Legacy Partners of the Central Lutheran Church Foundation can say “Thank you Bob” for providing for Central in many years to come.
For more information about the Central Lutheran Foundation and helpful charitable giving resources, contact:
Director of Development
Board of Trustees
Arlan R. Abel
Emilie A. Anderson (not pictured)
Joyce H. Anderson
Kay H. Dixon
Scott H. Fisher
Larry A. Gregerson
James R. Heintz, Secretary/Treasurer
Steven A. Studt
Shirley A. Teig, Vice President
Bonnie J. Weisenburger, President
Mark A. Gassedelen, Executive Secretary
Pastor Peter Nycklemoe
Robert “Obie” Holmen